It's the first day of spring and while it doesn't feel like it right now, temperature-wise, I'm already getting the Spring cleaning bug at home. Spring is a great time to freshen up our homes, but it's also a great time to look at our websites and ensure everything is still up-to-date, relevant and needed.
I recommend doing the following:
When was the last time that you reviewed your website content? Was it when the website was launched? We recommend running a quick audit of your site content at least 1-2 times per year to ensure everything is up to date.
Things to check:
- Hours of Operation – Are you still showing your Summer 2017 hours?
- Services – Are you still providing the same services or has your business offerings shifted?
- About Page – Ensure all information is still relevant and update as needed
- Contact Page – Double check all contact details. Add/remove employees as needed. Test out your contact form to ensure it's still working
- Home Page – Review your home page to ensure it's still aligning with the goals of your business
- Prices – Ensure that any prices listed on your website are current
Out With The Old!
Just like in our house, we need to purge items that are no longer relevant. We recommend checking these areas:
- Media Files – If you're using WordPress or another Content Management System to run your website, check through your Media folder to see if you can remove any old PDFs or photos that are no longer used on your website. These can clog up your sever storage space and your back up files.
- Blog Posts – Go through these and see if any need to be removed from the website. Updates such as holiday hours, services or products that are no longer relevant to your business. If you don't want to lose the content, but don't want them available online anymore, save them as Draft or Private and they won't be accessible by the public.
- External Links – Check to ensure that all external links are working properly on your site. If they're broken either update the link or remove it all together. We love Broken Link Checker for WordPress and use it on all our sites that we build.
- Plugins – Ensure that all plugins used on your website, if using a Content Management System, are still used and if not, remove them.
Who doesn't love a fresh bouquet of flowers (I know my cats love them!) or a new piece of art in their house. Your website would love a little freshening up as well.
Ideas on how to freshen up your website:
- Update images
- Add a new blog post if you haven't in awhile
- Put a new video on your site
- Add new testimonials
- Revamp the layout
These are all easy, small changes that you can do to your website yourself without spending a lot of time or money. It helps ensure that your website is looking it's best all the time.
Need Some Help?
Don't have the time or expertise to do these updates yourself? We would love to help you out with your website spring cleaning project.